We specialise in conducting comprehensive impact assessments to guide the development and implementation of appropriate and effective policies. Our focus is on assessing the intended and unintended impacts, both positive and negative, before policy implementation. By thoroughly evaluating these impacts, we ensure that policy objectives are achieved in an efficient and equitable manner.
Our expertise lies in undertaking detailed impact assessments of proposals for new and amended legislation. We work with several esteemed organisations, including Directorate Generals of the European Commission and the UK Government. As holders of framework contracts with the European Commission, we regularly conduct impact assessments of legislative change proposals, specifically for DG EMPL, DG GROW, and DG Environment, as well as DGs SANTE, JUST, FISMA, TAXUD AND RTD. Furthermore, we work closely with industry clients, consumer representatives and NGOs who seek to have their perspectives considered during the policy-making process.
We are well versed in applying the Commission’s Better Regulations Guidelines and Tools and have applied these in multiple impact assessment studies. RPA has extensive expertise in the development of theories of change, logic models, identification of policy options, assessment of economic, social and environmental impacts and comparison of different policy options or combinations of options, both legislative and non-legislative. We are fully skilled in applying different tools including SME, competition and fundamental rights assessments.
At RPA, we employ a range of data gathering and analytical tools to conduct thorough evaluations and impact assessments. Some of the tools we utilize include:
- Literature Review: We conduct comprehensive reviews of relevant literature to gain valuable insights and ensure a well-informed assessment.
- Stakeholder Consultation: We engage with individuals and organizations likely to be affected by proposed changes. We use various methods, such as questionnaires, focus group meetings, telephone/video conferences, workshops, and individual interviews (both face-to-face and remote), to gather diverse perspectives.
- Quantitative Analysis: We employ quantitative analysis techniques, including cost-benefit analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, risk assessment, and risk-benefit analysis. These approaches provide rigorous assessments of the potential impacts of proposed policies.
- Qualitative and Semi-Quantitative Analysis: Our experts utilize tools such as multi-criteria analysis, ranking exercises, scoring, and weighting to incorporate qualitative and semi-quantitative factors into the assessment process.
- Modelling and Sensitivity Analysis: We develop models and conduct sensitivity analyses to explore different scenarios and assess the impact of key variables, accounting for potential uncertainties and variations.
- Case Studies: We develop detailed case studies to provide real-world insights into the potential impacts of proposed policies.
Since our establishment in 1990, RPA has been at the forefront of using and developing impact assessment tools. We have played a pivotal role in their advancement and widespread application by others. Examples include our expertise in multi-criteria analysis and risk-benefit analysis.
With our wealth of experience and proficiency in utilizing these tools, we are well-equipped to guide policy makers in making informed decisions based on comprehensive impact assessments.
Our impact assessment services can help you design and implement policies that achieve your objectives while considering the diverse impacts on stakeholders. Together, we can ensure that your policies create positive and lasting effects.